publicity

Subject: publicity
From: "S.HARRISON" <arx009 -at- CCK -dot- COVENTRY -dot- AC -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 11:56:41 -0600

Hi

From the activity on this list, it seems that technical communication is very
much alive in the US. Here in the UK it is a very low-profile profession.

I teach technical communication at Coventry University, and ours is the
only full honours degree program in technical communication in the UK. (There
is also a combined technical communication and modern languages degree at
Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen.)

My question is: has the publicity problem been solved in the US? Do people
in general know that the profession exists? Do students in secondary schools
know about it? If they are aware of the profession, how has this come about?

Our degree at Coventry is very popular with employers, and it is also
popular with the students who come here, but most potential applicants
have not heard of either the course or the profession. My colleagues and I
would like to change this situation. Simply sending flyers
to secondary schools does not help - I don't think the students ever see
them.

I would like to hear your experiences and your suggestions for publicity.

Sandra

--
Sandra Harrison
Senior Lecturer, Technical Communication

Phone 0203-838534, Fax 0203-838667
arx009 -at- cck -dot- cov -dot- ac -dot- uk