Re: Getting Back to Basics

Subject: Re: Getting Back to Basics
From: Pat Anderson <panderson -at- ALIAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 18:53:50 -0400

Subject: Time: 6:53 PM
OFFICE MEMO RE> Getting Back to Basics Date: 02/09/94
Yup. I agree with you 100 percent, Steve.

Around New Year's, Eric changed the listserv so that it would no longer
automatically reply to everyone on the list. There was a small number of us who
liked it that way. A larger, more vocal group protested that everyone should
see all the messages by default.

Well, Eric kept the listserv the way it was, but some yo-yos out there still
think they've got to have a megaphone at the party, and tell everyone
everything. sheesh.

We've lost some really good people on the list.
We've had some really stupid topics.
Some people seem to think that as long as they are using writing skills,
anything goes on techwr-l.

I don't know what can be done to reclaim the list for what it could be. All we
can do is keep quiet when dumb topics come up. That doesn't help the
signal-to-noise ratio much, though.

I really liked seeing David Dubin's info about bulleted lists. It would be
great to see more stuff like that -- not prescriptive, but descriptive
information that opens up our choices.

I'd like to hear people describe the work they do--we can all learn from
hearing how others are doing things.

Any takers?

...pat. anderson
team leader, documentation