Grammar of "using"

Subject: Grammar of "using"
From: John Taylor <jaytay -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 17:27:41 -0700

Here's a construction with "using" that's absolutely standard techdoc. No
editor I know would touch it:

"You can graph an expression in a document using the Graphic Calculator."

But how would I explain it grammatically? Has "using" become a preposition,
meaning something like "with"? Is it a participal used adjectivally to modify
the pronoun "You"? A participal used adverbally to modify the verb "graph"? A
gerund preceded by an understood "by"?

I know, I know, who cares about grammar? But will somebody humor me on this?

John Taylor | Voice: 510.339.9795
jaytay -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com | Fax: 510.339.6578