Re: Help!!!!

Subject: Re: Help!!!!
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 14:47:31 EDT

> Can anyone help with suggestions, curriculum outlines or more??? I am
> obviously overwhelmed as I also have two other courses of two classes
>each as well.

Glen Accardo suggested a group project that works very well, I did something
similar at the graduate level. It's a large project, but very useful.

Two other exercises that have stuck with me through the years.

1) Take a "routine" exercise, from fairly common documentation, and try to
perform it as written. A good example? Go out to the parking lot, take the
owner's manual out of a car, and try to change a tire using the instructions.
Follow each step EXACTLY AS WRITTEN, don't add any "common knowledge" steps.
If you can't get the tire changed, re-write the owner's manual as needed in
order to finish the job. If, in fact, the owner's manual is clear and accurate,
then sit down and figure out why the process worked.

2) Take a section from a manual that is not clearly organized, or is aimed at
a specialized audience. Re-write the material so that it is clear, and a layman
can understand it. The example we used was a section on flight controls from
the pilot's manual of the F-102 fighter jet. If you can get something that's
older, complex, and highly structured (as this manual was), it's a fertile
source for conversions to newer formats, and new ideas.

Rick Lippincott
I can send, but not receive at work. Send personal comments to:
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com