Re: tech communicators and training

Subject: Re: tech communicators and training
From: Elna -dot- Tymes -at- SYNTEX -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 12:07:54 PDT

In article <199409012013 -dot- QAA29533 -at- mtu -dot- edu>, <kitalong -at- mtu -dot- edu> writes:

> How many of you folks are involved with training at your
> work place? In what capacity? Do you know of statistics
> or documents or articles that support or refute my belief that
> "a lot" of technical communicators function as trainers
> or provide of support to training departments?

I can offer anecdotal evidence, based on a couple decades worth of experience
in Silicon Valley, that many technical writers are also expected to be able
to train folks, or at least provide the training material. There are a
significant number of companies here who do, in fact, have their own
training departments who develop their own material, but there are also a
number who regard all that "documentation stuff" as including training.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems