Re: Technical Writing Job Advertisements

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Job Advertisements
From: Laurie D Mann <lm3k+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 08:12:55 -0400

I think you need a "matching set" of skills, not necessarily the same skills.

I've been working as a tech writer again for the last six weeks after a
year of working
in a bookstore. Over the last year, I'd learned a little Corel, a lot
of MS-Word, and
had played around a little with Pagemaker. In my last tech writing job, I'd
learned my company's propriety operating system and its administration
utilities,
TeX, and FrameMaker.

I'm learning all new software in this job, and it's been a little harder
than I'd
expected. However, it only took me about a day to reaquaint myself with
FrameMaker. So that gave me more time to learn and try out NetWare,
UNIX administration and X-Windows, products I'd never used before this job.

What employers ought to look for is the following:

ability to learn different products/platforms/hardware
some overlap with either the DTP tools OR the material being documented

**Laurie D. Mann, Technical Writer, Carnegie Mellon University**
***lm3k+ -at- andrew -dot- cmu -dot- edu****Pithy saying under deconstruction.***