Subject: TECHWR-L Topics
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 07:41:00 CDT

Hi gang,
I recently started sending brief notes to anyone who
posts something to the list that is, IMHO, completely
off the topic. These notes identify the off-topic post
and remind the sender of the purpose of the list. I
will probably continue to do this as long as I have
time or as it is necessary. Please don't take offense
at this and don't think that I am targeting you and not
anyone else. I am, within the constraints of time and
energy, doing it to everyone. Bearing that in mind, not
getting a note from me doesn't necessarily mean that I
condone the message about drug testing baby seals,
rather it means that I didn't have time to drop you a
line.

Those of you who have expressed to me your
dissatisfaction about the list digressions might
consider doing the same thing. I do not advocate
flaming all offenders, rather >constructively<
suggesting an alternative forum for discussions which
don't belong in this forum.

One of the recipients of my little notes commented
that: "It's your list, but if we need to focus to the
point of excluding three lines of relevant humor, it's
going to be pretty austere." Relevance, like beauty, is
in the eye of the beholder. However, the fact is that
it isn't >my< list. It is >our< list and we need to
police ourselves.

I personally don't see anything at all wrong with
humor on the list or with occasional and brief
digressions. I do, however, _strongly_ object to:
* any kind of personal attacks
* meta-discussion of digressions
* "me, too" messages which don't add to the discussion
and finally the always popular & oxymoronic irrelevant
digressions. Digressing from color preferences when
editing to who makes the best pens and why is, IMOH,
relevant. The social conscience of the manufacturer is
straying a little too far.

I would be interested in hearing your feelings about
this. If you have something to add to my comments or to
open up for discussions, please do so on the list. If
you just want to say that you agree or disagree, please
do so to my personal address below.

Thanks!
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu