Re: Grammar of "using"

Subject: Re: Grammar of "using"
From: "Bonni J. Graham" <bgraham -at- ELECTRICITI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 10:39:30 PST

John Taylor brings up a lot of points from his message that I'm not going to
repeat here; suffice it to say that he was admonishing the list for our
lack of grammar. He don't know us very well, do he? <g>

I think no one commented on the grammar used in that post because we as an
entire list just got flamed several times in the last week and a half for
spending too much time on picky grammar issues. We're a little reluctant
at the moment, or at least I am, to open that particular can of worms again
(we're running out of bigger cans, you see).

My vote is with the person who suggested getting rid of the construction
altogether and say "Use the framis tool to place the widget." Then we
don't have to worry about participle phrases used adverbially in a
post-pluperfect subjunctive expression (the previous congolomeration of
grammar terms is fictional. Any resemblance to an actual piece of grammar,
living or dead, is purely accidental). I usually don't worry about
finessing grammar unless the sentence is awkward. And even then, I'll
spend more time trying to write it differently than figuring out what to
call it. If I can't figure out a new way to write it (it happens), then
I'll deconstruct it using (here we go again) diagramming or whatever.

Grammar is important, but for me it's relevent only in a "usage" state. I
don't care what it's called -- is it readable? Understandable? Accurate?
Ok, then, I'm happy.

Bonni Graham
Manual Labour
Director, Region 8 Conference