Tech writing, publicity i

Subject: Tech writing, publicity i
From: Barb Philbrick <barb -dot- philbrick -at- PCOHIO -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 1994 11:28:00 -0500

R>1 -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com>
R>Newsgroup: bit.listserv.techwr-l

R>Faith Weber said:
R>>hell, when I tell people what I do, they're like "oh," like I have
R>some >sort of disease or what I do sounds REALLY boring.

R>I get mixed reactions, most people don't understand what technical
R>writers do. If it's someone I've just met, I'll say something generic
R>and polite like "I write the manuals that technicians use to operate
R>the machine, and the manuals the maintenance people use to overhaul
R>the machine." That seems to impress them. Or, confuse them enough that
R>they stop asking questions.

I tell them I'm the one they're swearing at when they're assembling
something and the instruction don't work. <g> (Actually, I don't do any
consumer products, but people definitely know what you're talking
about.)

Barb

barb -dot- philbrick -at- pcohio -dot- com
---
~ CMPQwk 1.4 #9107 ~ Vultures only fly with carrion luggage.