Resumix Redux

Subject: Resumix Redux
From: /G=Mike/S=Christie -at- MHS-SUNALL -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 20:08:43 +0000

Since I just learned yesterday that my company (which has two offices - one in
Silicon Valley and one in England) may experience some substantial layoffs, or,
worst case, shut down the Silicon Valley office altogether, last week's
discussion of Resumix has suddenly taken on an immediate significance.

This month's Silicon Valley STC newsletter's lead article contained a
discussion of tips for using Resumix, which overlapped the discussion here.
Some points that I don't recall mentioned on techwr-l include:

-use 10 pt or larger type
-use white or light-colored paper
-restate key skills
-omit study programs in progress
-if you submit more than one resume to a company use your name consistently
-consider having two resumes, one for HR and resumix (plain) and another
("stylish") for those you interview with.
Just be sure the information is consistent!

(Don't ask me "why" on any of these - I'm just repeating what's in the article.

The article also says "choose simple typefaces, such as Helvetica." But Richard
Sobocinski said:
> Use a good scanable font so that your 1s (ones) don't get
>confused with your ls (ells), same with 0/O -- something with
>serifs.

My guess is that Resumix would perefer a sanserif font like Helvetica, and the
AI capabilities would distinguish between 'ells' and 'ones.' What do others
think?

Mike Christie