Re: To Vet or Not to Vet

Subject: Re: To Vet or Not to Vet
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 17:26:00 -0500

>My manager sent me this e-mail note today about the usage and spelling of
>the word or abbreviation, "vet". I'm not familiar with it. If anyone can
>confirm the usage and spelling, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I've heard that usage, and the spelling seems fine. I suspect it's UK, perhaps
also a nautical term. The contexts I've seen it in imply that when something is
"vetted" it's checked over and is now "ship-shape and Bristol-fashion."

When I first saw it I wondered if it might originally spring from taking an
animal to the veterinarian for a clean bill of health, but I don't know.

Have Fun

Arlen

cc:Mail don't do no signatures <pout, pout>