Tenses, Gender & Number

Subject: Tenses, Gender & Number
From: "Robert E. Allen" <re_allen -at- PNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 21:51:27 GMT

Someone sent me a photocopy of a page from something called
"Professional and Vocational Regulations Title 16". I'm not sure
where it came from, but it looks like a state government regulation
or law book. Section 3401 reads:

"Tenses, Gender, and Number. As used in this chapter, the
present tense includes the past and future tenses, and the future
includes the present; the masculine gender includes the feminine,
and the feminime includes the masculine; and the singular includes
the plural, and the plural includes the singular."

Sounds to me like an admission that someone doesn't know their
grammer. What scares me is the handwritten note in the margin:

"Mel, this language should be incorporated in the EIS."

I don't know who Mel is, but he better not ask me to edit anything
with this statement in it.

Bob
Simplicate and add light.