Re: To Vet or Not to Vet

Subject: Re: To Vet or Not to Vet
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:56:35 EDT

I originally replied to this question privately, but I keep seeing mss. that
Americans have never heard of it. To vet, in the sense to check for
"soundness and fitness for purpose" has been common terminology in the
American horse community for at least a CENTURY (I have old books, including
one from the 1880's, that use it without explanation). I have been hearing
it in business/documentation terminology since the late 60's (when I got into
the business - I'm too young to make any earlier observations!).

In short, there's nothing new about it. Perhaps it is more common in the
southwest, where we tend to have more animals to vet? Or perhaps it has
grown less common in recent years, and is experiencing "rebirth" so that many
volk are hearing it for the first time? suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com