Re: Confidential quote

Subject: Re: Confidential quote
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 12:17:44 EDT

Vicki Rosenzweig (apologies for mispelling) provides a thoughtful discussion
on John Updike's recent quote, pointing up the advantages of the printed
word over the electronic one.

All good points! However, while everything you say is true today, I think
it's worth noting that as display technology increases in resolution and
portability, the advantages of printed books will diminish. At this point,
taking a walk in the park with an electronic book will be no more dangerous
than taking the same walk with a SONY discman (and may involve similar
technology and media). I'm intrigued by the possibilities raised by the
"TV-glasses" being touted in infomercials, where a TV display is projected
on the inside of sun glasses, allowing heads-up-display of your favorite
program. While this technology certainly isn't optimized for reading text,
there is nothing that prevents it from being so used, and there are obvious
ergonomic advantages.

There's been a fairly lively discussion of this same topic (and quote) over
in alt.hypertext.

Take care,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.