Re: To Vet or Not to Vet

Subject: Re: To Vet or Not to Vet
From: Ray Bruman x2325 <rbruman -at- TURING -dot- RAYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 14:50:22 PDT

> >>People around me have taken to using the word 'vet' (sp?) in the context of
> >>checking and proofreading, e.g.: "Please vet this document and get it back
> >>to me ASAP".

> vet, vetted, vetting, vets. American Heritage Dictionary.

> Subject to a thorough (veterinary) examination. I've heard it a lot in the
> last few years in connection with examining the backgrounds of potential
> political appointees. It used to be exclusively british, but now the NPR
> crowd uses it.

Thanks for all the enlightening etymology. William Safire did a
column on "vet" when it emerged into political discourse in the midst
of one of those confirmation hearing fiascos.

I suppose somebody could look it up.

Ray Bruman In this establishment,
Raynet Corp. we DO NOT DISCUSS
rbruman -at- raynet -dot- com race, religion, politics,
415-688-2325 or nutrition.