Re: Why manuals?

Subject: Re: Why manuals?
From: Tim Pera <uusr656!tim -at- RAMBONE -dot- PSI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 09:14:55 +0600

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG> writes:

"The paper software manual is dead...

"Nobody has ever learned FrameMaker4 or Word6 or Photoshop3 or any other
major package by reading the paper documentation supplied with it...

"Paper manuals will continue to appeal to users' nostalgia but won't
satisfy their expectations..."

No, I generally don't learn anything front-to-back by reading a book,
but I do learn *some* things, sometimes relatively complex things which
would be hard for me to pull off the screen from an on-line system. I
personally prefer putting my feet on the desk and opening a book on my
lap when I have a thorny problem. And remember, you can't haul a
workstation off to bed with you, unless you do some really perverse stuff.
Just my humble o.

Tim