Inc/decrement, vt. -Reply (fwd)

Subject: Inc/decrement, vt. -Reply (fwd)
From: Kathlyn Auten <kathlyna -at- DADD -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 10:12:14 -0500

> Shelly wrote:

> > "increments" and "decrements" were used as VERBS!

> To which Richard replied:

> > I have been using these verbs for about 30 years, and I was
> > astonished to discover today that they ain't in the dictionary.

> > May I have a show of hands on this one? Did you know that these
> > verbs aren't verbs? Do only programmers increment registers?

These words are defined as verbs in the "IEEE Standard Dictionary
of Electrical and Electronics Terms" (the Institute of Electrical
and Electronics Engineers sets the standards for the EE community):

increment (1) (test-pattern language). The action of increasing
the arithmetic value of a counter by one.
(2) (mathematics of computing). ...To increase the value of a
variable.

decrement (1) (test-pattern language). The action of reducing
the arithmetic value of a counter by one.
(2) (mathematics of computing). ...To decrease the value of
a variable by one.

--
Regards,

Kathlyn Auten INTERNET: kathlyna -at- dadd -dot- ti -dot- com
Texas Instruments
PO Box 650311 M/S 3937
Dallas, TX 75265
Voice: (214)917-1732