Fwd: Incrementing/Decrementing

Subject: Fwd: Incrementing/Decrementing
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 15:21:22 EDT

---- Included Message ----

From: ggall.CA
To: cnseq1:srm -at- c2 -dot- org
Subject: Incrementing/Decrementing

Hi Richard:

It seems to me to be programmingese--what was once a noun becomes a verb
because the programmer doesn't have any other word to discribe it. Many
people condemn this practice, but not me--it is necessary, inevitable,
and enriching.

This is what "The Computer Glossary", 5th edition, by Alan Freedman says:

"Decrement: To subtract a number from another number. Decrementing a counter
means to subtract 1 or some other number from its current value."

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)