Re: Why manuals?

Subject: Re: Why manuals?
From: Jerry Blackerby <exujbl -at- EXU -dot- ERICSSON -dot- SE>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 11:09:22 GMT

In article BAA26796 -at- infinity -dot- c2 -dot- org, Richard Mateosian <srm -at- c2 -dot- org> writes:
> Nobody has ever learned FrameMaker4 or Word6 or Photoshop3 or any other
> major package by reading the paper documentation supplied with it.

I beg to differ with Richard. I learned FrameMaker, Word Perfect,
and Wordstar from the paper manuals only. On line documentation
is great, but paper will still be with us for many years. Some users
prefer paper.

On-line, hypertext-style, documentation is ideal for some applications
but not all. I created a hypertext-style, on-line system for a
fill-in-the-blank system in 1983. It was ideal for that application
because the user could select help at any blank and see what to
enter.

Jerry
,___
__{_-.x.-_}__ Jerry Blackerby _| ~~. Practice random kindness
(_____________) 214-907-7810 (w) \, _} and senseless acts of
[_______]