Re: ISO 9000 -- seeming to be, and not to be...

Subject: Re: ISO 9000 -- seeming to be, and not to be...
From: "Susan R. Kloster" <srk -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 08:04:51 -0700

> ...some kind of magic paper formula for a guarantee of
> high quality, as I see it. Or do I see falsely?

Not falsely, just not completely. The idea is to document your
process, and in doing so, you are forced to evaluate it and see
where changes can be made to improve it, therefore improving
quality.

ISO 9000 also has requirements...things like error correcting
procedures. You know, if a problem occurs...how do you resolve
it? The idea being that you acknowledge and correct problems as
they occur...therefore improving quality.

ISO 9000 should also improve consistency in the way things are
done..there is not much excuse for deviating from a
procedure/process that is documented.

This is just some of the ways that ISO 9000 should improve
quality.

We've been in the process of implementing ISO 9001...lets
see...for about 18 months now. We've really evaluated our
process, and believe me, there is room for improvement.
A few ISO 9000 obstacles:

Old habits die hard
Big egos

> But your quality (Crosby/Demming, or otherwise)? Zero
> defects, it doesn't guarantee.

No Guarantees!

Susan
srk -at- plaza -dot- ds -dot- adp -dot- com