Tech Pubs Management

Subject: Tech Pubs Management
From: Popp Stacie <popp_stacie -at- MSMAIL -dot- MUOHIO -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 13:27:11 -0500

Hi. I am a grad student at Miami (Ohio). I am in the Technical and Scientific
Communication program here, and am currently taking a course called "Managing
Technical and Scientific Departments, Publications and Policies."

I am researching a the topic of computers and technology in management for a
paper in this class. I am finding some theory and speculations about how
technolgy is/can be/will be used by managers. There isn't a lot of
information about how tech pubs dept managers (specifically) may use
computers as management tools or are affected by technolgical advances such
as "the virtual office" (higher order) or
e-mail or faxes (lower order).

I have been politely lurking on this list and decided that asking real, live
tech writers and managers about how technology affects them would be better
than reading speculative theories of possible impacts. If any of you have
thoughts on this topic, I would certainly appreciate your sharing them with
me. Thanks.

Stacie Popp popp_stacie -at- msmail -dot- muohio -dot- edu
Bachelor Hall
Department of English
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056