Re: interview suits

Subject: Re: interview suits
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 21:25:08 -0700

>I think you can get away without a suit in a campus interview, I don't
>think you can at a job fair or at a corporate interview.

When I was a manager, I wore suits. When I was a marketeer, I wore suits.
Now my $600 suits hang in the closet, and I've gone back to what I wore when
I was a programmer: casual shirts, slacks, and birkenstocks--to an interview
or to a job.

Molloy's Dress for Success was my guide for many years, but the gist of his
discovery was not that blue suits are good. Molloy found that you could
enhance your chances of success by looking and behaving in ways that instill
trust, comfort, and respect in the people you need to work with. For the
senior scientists and programmers I usually need to work with, my outfit
fills the bill.

For a younger writer with management or marketing ambitions and without a
strong technical background, suits may still be a necessity. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org