Re: Windows '95

Subject: Re: Windows '95
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- JUPITER -dot- CALSTATELA -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 11:50:24 -0600

Is single-clicking that much more intuitive to perform this specific
>task? I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say on this
>usability issue.

Imagine a person who has never seen a computer sitting down in front of
a computer with icons displayed and a mouse laying beside it. Moving the
mouse around, seeing the pointer move when the mouse moves, pointing to an
icon, discovering the buttons, clicking on an icon. I think all these things
will likely happen. However, I suspect that the person will fall off the
chair from exhaustion without the idea of clicking twice quickly ever entering
their mind. Double clicking is a concept that must be given to the user,
preferably shown, but possibly explained in documentation.

In addition, as someone else mentioned, double clicking is difficult for some
people, even when they know that's what they are supposed to do. I teach
various workshops in a windows environment. In almost every workshop, there
is one or two people who cannot manage the mouse. Usually, they have tried to
use a mouse in the past and have been unable to double click successfully.
Consequently, they avoid windows like the plague, considering it a foul
invention, designed solely to frustrate them and to make them feel
incompetent. For some of these people, the only solution is to tell them to
point and press enter. The radiant joy on their faces when they find out they
don't have to double click will touch your heart.

Janet
jvalade -at- calstatela -dot- edu