Next question... cross-platform help engines

Subject: Next question... cross-platform help engines
From: WandaJane Phillips <wandajp -at- ANDYNE -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 18:19:11 GMT

We're working up online help for a product that will be running on both
the Win32 and Mac platforms. For Win32 (32 bit windows.. don't ask me I
just write here) I can crank out standard Windows help files, and I
have some nifty little tools to help with that, BUT....

we're a Mac shop. So, I write files on the Mac and (this is still
undecided) I can either RETYPE the stuff on a Windows box, or export as
RTF and drag the files across to the PC. Anyways, so there I am, on
Windows with my nifty little make Windows help tool cranking out
Windows help. As an experiment, I dragged that file back to the Mac and
my Microsoft help engine read it without a problem.

Is this a solution? Can I use the Microsoft help engine on the Mac? How
do I find out? What else is available? We looked at one prospect but it
was expensive. We want to, and are planning to, incorporate context
sensitive help - on the Windows side, the help file contains context
strings and context numbers associated with the various dialog boxes in
the programme. Can I do this on the Mac? Who, if anyone, has written
online help for the Mac. What issues did you encounter? The programme
is the same on both platforms, the differences show up in small places
like the wrapper around windows and dialog boxes (and the font).

I'm supposed to be looking into this and about 5 other things. It is
getting late, can anyone help (she said, panic making her voice a bit
shrill)?

... waja ...
opinions?! opinions?! we don't need no stinking opinions!
don't sit under the Bodhi tree with anyone else but me... anyone else
but me...