The long arm of the taxman

Subject: The long arm of the taxman
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 09:35:15 IST

|> because I was out of the U.S. long enough and not working for the U.S.
|> federal government, I was exempt from U.S. tax.

** I don't think any citizen ever becomes exempt from U.S. tax. If you
know a loophole I don't, please inform. What I'm aware of is an
exemption for foreign-earned income of up to $70,000 (which probably
covers the average overseas technical writer...). Every citizen is
still obliged to file a tax form, though. For years the government
has been threatening to catch nonfilers at passport-renewal time.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| - And my advice to those who die: declare the pennies on your eyes - ||
|| (Lennon - McCartney) ||