Re: Online/print

Subject: Re: Online/print
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 15:00:00 UTC

I am about to change jobs. At the new job I will have the opportunity to
write help screens. When my current coworkers hear this, they beg for
1. Help screens that tell you something you need to know on the first screen
2. Help screens that don't waste time on trivia
3. No more than 3 levels of help screens on any topic
4. A help screen that's "intuitive" that is, context sensitive to the
extreme.

My personal "awful help screen award" goes to OS/2 for it's help screens
that say something like "The printer will print your file" as the first
level of help. Apologies to the IBM writers. I know you are working from a
set of rules to write by.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com