Using the word shall

Subject: Using the word shall
From: "Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold" <kleve -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 16:10:57 CDT

Please give me the benefit of your expertise.

One of the company's sales people wants to use the word "shall" in his
proposals. This goes against our style guide which says to use informal
wording whenever possible. So far all the writers in the company are
against using shall. But the salesperson doesn't trust us or the company
style guide (which we wrote).

What rules do you know about using shall? We need data.
My dictionary just says it's a defective verb used as the present tense
of should. Not a whole lot of help.

Please respond to kleve -at- hilco -dot- com -dot-

Thanks.

--KEL-A

Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold
Documentation Manager Email: kleve -at- hilco -dot- com
Hilco Technologies, Inc. Phone: 314/298-9506 x253
3300 Rider Trail South, Suite 300 Fax: 314/298-1729
Earth City, MO 63045