Writers with Networking Expertise Anywhere?

Subject: Writers with Networking Expertise Anywhere?
From: "Race, Paul" <pdr -at- CCSPO -dot- DAYTONOH -dot- NCR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 09:49:00 EST

Dear tech writers,

At AT&T GIS Professional Services, we are attempting to document service
procedures for designing and implementing LAN and WAN systems. We have
writers. We have tech-heads. But we could really use at least one writer
(maybe two or three, our budget for '95 is still up in the air) who also
understands computer networking. Is there anybody lurking out there who is
familiar with TCP/IP, the NOSes, routers, transparent bridging, internet
Id's and masks, OSI, source-route bridging, cable types and bandwidths,
hubs, switched ethernet, Asynchronous Transfer Mode, or at least some of the
above and wouldn't mind writing about this stuff for a living?

(On the other hand, if the above list didn't mean anything to you.....)

Cost of living in Dayton OH is very low compared to either coast. The price
of a nice bungalow in LA, SF, or downstate NY will get you a small mansion
here. Other costs (food, clothing, etc.) are comparable to what you're
paying now, if not a little lower. Many lovely suburbs are ridiculously
affordable by East Coast or West Coast standards, many of the public schools
are excellent, and there are very good private Catholic, Protestant, and
Jewish schools (I believe), as well as non-religious academies. Read:
Nice place to raise a family.

Weather is usually temperate, though we do have the occasional White
Christmas, or New Years, or Valentine's days. Just not all in the same
year.

There are several good area universities and colleges, (Miami, Wright State,
University of Dayton, Wittenburg, Cedarville), and AT&T GIS has a tuition
reimbursement program as long as your major is business, career (writing),
or technology-related. (For that matter, Miami has an excellent Master's
program in Technical Communication, and WSU has great writer's forums every
summer.)

AT&T GIS Professional Services allows fairly casual dress (as long as you're
not TOO casual!), has pretty decent benefits, a very nice 401K and a decent
stock purchase plan. Best of all, PS is a growing organization with a lot
of great people, and pretty good opportunity for career growth.

I work here too, which is the only downer I can think of offhand.

While writing skills are a plus, and you must like to write, we are
definitely more interested in network expertise for these particular
positions. If you are interested, why don't you E-mail me a brief outline
of your experience, education, career goals, etc., or a full-fledged resume,
if you have one ready. If you're not, but you know somebody who might be
interested, would you forward this E-mail to him/her for me?

Thanks again, and sorry for the big commercial. It's just that writers (or
even would-be-writers) with networking experience are getting real hard to
come by in the area, especially since we keep hiring them.

Please DON'T hit the reply button and send your resume to everybody on the
list. Instead, please E-mail me at paul -dot- d -dot- race -at- daytonOH -dot- ncr -dot- com