Re: Approximations

Subject: Re: Approximations
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 13:35:00 -0500

Opinions, please. Here are two versions of a standard that tells users
when they should use a particular command:

1. Use the PREPARE statement for SQL statements that an application uses
_many_ times.

2. Use the PREPARE statement for SQL statements that an application uses
_more than about 10_ times.

I see the quandry. I don't like "more than about," however. "More than" should
be followed by an exact number. The phrase already designates a range of numbers
(from n to infinity) so blurring the n doesn't add much. Besides, "about 10" is
open to the same criticism as "many". For example: is 7 "about 10?" Is 6? 9
certainly is, as is 11, but how about 12 or 15?

Have fun,
Arlen