Sam Clemens Has a Live Manual

Subject: Sam Clemens Has a Live Manual
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 16:05:27 -0700

Someone sent me email about the Sam Clemens/Manuals are dead threads, and it
stirred me to try again to clarify my point.

A passive, text-based account, even online and full of links, can't teach or
describe the current major software packages, and the situation will only
get worse.

You'll receive a paper manual with the software packages of the future, but
it will be like a travel brochure, featuring scenes of exciting program locales.

Online help systems that achieve symbiosis with the software will do the
teaching and describing. A new software development methodology and new help
authoring tools will make this all possible.

We need to involve ourselves early to assure that the tools we'll be using
suit our needs. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org