Re[2]: Request for Information on Productivity

Subject: Re[2]: Request for Information on Productivity
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:13:45 -0500

This thread reminds me of the scene in "Funny Lady" where showman
Billy Rose was timing the workman who was tediously painting a chair
with a brush so that he would have an estimate of how much time (and
money) it would take to get all of the chairs painted. After Mr. Rose
left the foreman turned to the workman and said "Spray 'em!".

_______________________ Reply ______________________________
From: "Brown, David W [RV]" <dwb3 -at- po9 -dot- rv -dot- unisys -dot- com>

I think that measuring pages per day or pages per year does not give a
complete picture of technical writing productivity. My current employer and
previous employer both use hours per page, which is just another way to look
at pages/day or pages/year.

The problem with those measurements is that they do not measure the quality
of the product, they just measure the quantity.

I think some more useful measurements are customer feedback (surveys, etc)
and cycle time to produce the product (how long it took to complete the
manual instead of how many pages it is).