Re: 'Might' vs. 'may'

Subject: Re: 'Might' vs. 'may'
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 20:22:19 -0600

When I saw this pet peeve, I just had to respond. I just finished grading
a set of papers from my tech writing students. "Would have" and "could
have" were inappropriately used in far too many of them. My only
consolation is that at least no one used "would of" instead. When I
taught FY Comp last year, that was the more common error. Ugh!

--------------
> P.S. My pet peeve about English usage is using would have instead
> of had in a past conditional: If I would have known, I would have ...

> Jan Bates Voice: 908 949-2311
> ADSS - AT&T Bell Labs Fax: 908 949-4001
> Holmdel NJ e-mail: bates -at- kingfish -dot- att -dot- com

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Mirrors should reflect a *
* little before throwing *
* back images. *
* -Jean Cocteau- *