Re: Wanted! PhD writing programs

Subject: Re: Wanted! PhD writing programs
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 08:46:47 -0500

Paul:

Allow me to put in a plug for the PhD writing program at Iowa State
University in Ames, Ia., where my wife is currently attending as a student.
Its focus is on rhetoric, and you can major in technical and business
communication. It has the advantage (for a technical writer) of being on
the same campus with a world-class engineering school and a DOE materials
laboratory. Drop me an e-mail line and I can scrounge up details if
you're interested.

As for the Upper Peninsula, let me second Shelley's assertion that it isn't
all that cold. I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB for three years in the
mid-1980's, and I can attest to the moderating effect of Lake Superior on
temperature. I enjoyed milder winter temperatures when I lived there than
I do now in Des Moines. However, as Don Henley says, every form of refuge
has its price. In this case, the price is snow. Lots of snow. Stroms that
deposit more snow in two days than Iowa gets in a whole year (THREE TIMES
in the winter of '87-'88). Average snowfall is something like 120" on the
main part of the U.P.; more on the Keweenaw Peninsula where Michigan Tech
is located. Nice people, though, lots of empty space, fairly low cost of
living, and good hunting and fishing if you're into that.

Doug "All business activity is a struggle
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com between Greed and Fear. Incorporation
means that, in this organization, Fear
has won."