Re: Resumes

Subject: Re: Resumes
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 20:13:34 GMT

In article <9410181528 -dot- AA25641 -at- cnseq1 -dot- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com>,
Gwen Gall <ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com> wrote:

>Now, my question is: would there have been anything wrong with responding by
>sending as ascii version of a resume to that email address? Did they expect
>this, or were they just including the email address to prove that they are hip
>and up-to-the-moment and real high tech.? (Note: the ad was for software
>engineers and programmers also.) Also, would an ascii version be sufficient?
>After all, it's part of our skill set to make a nice-looking document, oui?
>Or, how about sending ascii, with a note that snailmail will follow?

I would recommend sending a short note asking them if they want e-mail
resumes. I strongly recommend ASCII resumes; it's possible to format it
fairly well. (See the end of this for mine.) I've never sent my resume
snail mail, but I bring lots of copies to the interview (only a couple
of people will have seen the resume ahead of time; everyone else will
appreciate the nice paper and formatting).

*Never* *ever* send PostScript files unless the ad specifically requests
them or you ask first.

I'm near the end of my contract, so if anyone has a job in Silicon
Valley....

Dan Bernstein

4670 Clarendon Dr.
San Jose, CA 95129
aahz -at- netcom -dot- com
(408) 252-4942

Computer RDBMS and text database systems
Skills C, Pascal, Fortran, PAL
MS-DOS, Unix, MS-Windows, OS/2, Internet
Paradox (DOS/Windows), Topic, Ventura, MS-Word, WordPerfect
IBM PC, Sun, IBM 30xx

Experience Technical Writer
Talking Technology Inc., Alameda, CA 1994
- Wrote 120-page manual for telephone processing board.
- Worked with programming team to specify API design.
- Designed and wrote tutorial for event-driven programming.
- Wrote example programs in C.
- Designed layout of manual.
- Developed style guidelines.

Senior Technical Support Engineer
Borland International, Scotts Valley, CA 1990 to 1994
- Served as a Paradox technical guru, trained other engineers,
and was last line of support for major customers.
- Supported 35 Paradox phone customers per day.
- Responsible for 8 sections of a CompuServe forum with
300 messages per day.
- Wrote more than 75 and reviewed more than 150 technical
notes, and edited the Paradox manuals for technical accuracy.
- Worked extensively with Quality Assurance, logging more
than 100 bug reports; reviewed bug reports; and specified
new features.
- Wrote utility software, including an install program in
Pascal used by Paradox Tech Support for its utility disk,
and a fixed-length ASCII text importer in PAL for the
developer's disk.

Manager of Information Systems
CCSCE, Palo Alto, CA 1982 to 1990
- Responsible for 6 PCs and a Lantastic network; selected and
purchased software and hardware, and trained personnel.
- Managed database of approximately 50 megabytes.
- Transformed over 5 megabytes of FORTRAN and ASCII databases
into Paradox tables for non-programmers.
- Wrote a population projection model in FORTRAN, and analyzed
and summarized data using Pascal programs and 1-2-3
spreadsheets.
- Coordinated production of books and published 2 books with
Ventura.
- Consulted with outside clients.

Education Engineering Computer Science, UC Davis

Other - Toastmasters member for over six years
- Facilitator, Experience Unlimited (ProMatch)

--- Dan Bernstein
aahz -at- netcom -dot- com
(408) 252-4942
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.