Re: Tech Writing as a career

Subject: Re: Tech Writing as a career
From: Steve Read <sread -at- NIRVANA -dot- NOSUBDOMAIN -dot- NODOMAIN>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 08:11:48 GMT

In article <387pmc$1nn -at- crl6 -dot- crl -dot- com>, jaredle -at- crl -dot- com (James E Driggers) writes:
|> I have a bunch of questions to ask those who do technical writing as a
|> career. I am thinking about becoming a technical writer, and would like
|> to hear what it's like. If these questions are already in a FAQ, could
|> someone point me where I can get it. If this group doesn't have a FAQ,
|> perhaps these would be a good starting point. Anyway, here's the questions:
|>
|> a. What do you do over the course of a day as a writer?

Chase programmers, debug this messed-up help file, avoid my boss, keep Mr
PC running, and occasionally do some writing.

|> b. How did you get your first job as a writer?

Luck.

|> c. What kind of skills did you have starting out?

English degree and a willingness to ask questions.

|> d. What kind of skills are needed now starting out?

Hard to say, really. I suppose that it's more tool-based than it used
to be.

|> e. What's best/worst part of being a writer?

It gets boring sometimes. I've been doing it for 11 years, and I'm
beginning to think there's no such thing as a new piece of software.

|> f. What advice would you give someone thinking about writing as a career?

Develop a thick skin. You'll be treated like you're the dumbest person
who ever lived.

|> g. What kind of advancement opportunities are there as a writer?

The usual management things. Training. Consulting/contracting.

|> h. What kind of money can be made at entry level? After 1-3 years?

There was a salary survey posted here not long ago. Maybe someone still
has it?

|> i. With strong writing skills, a BA in sociology and much clerical type
|> experience, but next to none in programming, what kind of chance do I
|> have getting a job as a tech writer?

Depends on where you live. I can't say much about the market in the US.

|> Please answer what questions you will and a heartfelt thanks for your time.

No problem.

|> Jim Driggers

Steve Read

Oracle UK