Re: Manifest or manifested

Subject: Re: Manifest or manifested
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 22:46:18 -0700

My take is to recast the sentence so that it avoids tying the temporal
introductory thought (Since) to the decidedly nontemporal "memo," and
then, not to use manifest or manifested, since they are .50 words and
don't seem clearly superior to simpler words. Something like

"Since the memo was issued (or approved, or released, or signed, or
whatever actually connotes a moment in time), this effect has been
observed (or noted or whatever)."

I don't like manifest for at least two reasons: 1. Even smart people
like yourself have problems knowing whether and how to use if
comfortably. 2. It has a nontrivial alternate meaning (such as a
shipping manifest) that can easily occur in technical writing.

One persons two cents anyway. I hope it was helpful; if not, please
disregard.

John Gear