Re[2]: "Y'all" usage at MIT

Subject: Re[2]: "Y'all" usage at MIT
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 12:13:45 EST

I've been trying to stay out of this, since as a native of the sovereign
state of Northern Virginia I don't hear many southernisms, but my
husband's family has ties to the south and I must uphold its sacred honor.

While it is true that "y'all" can be further pluralized to "all y'all,"
the singular of "y'all" is either "you" or "y'all," depending on where you
are, how Southern/Northern you're trying to sound, etc. If I am
discussing a new application with a bunch of programmers, I do *not* want
to call one of them "honey child" (pronounced and maybe even spelled
"honey chile"). I will say, "So y'all feel that these colors improve
usability? Maureen, are you going to change the standards?"

For the Northerners among us: think of "y'all" as a more versatile version
of "you guys." "Y'all" can be used on all levels, while "you guys" is
used for one's peers or for children. For example, when interviewing for
a job, if the company seems Southern to me I might say something like
"During the development process, how do y'all get input from end users?"
I would *never* use "you guys" in such circumstances.

Besides -- "y'all" is obviously second person. "Honey chile" is third
person singular. Let's not get into its plural.