Re: Cost Savings and Online Help

Subject: Re: Cost Savings and Online Help
From: KC Warren <warrenk -at- CSOS -dot- ORST -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 13:17:55 -0700

Connie Winch said:

>> <snip>
>>
>> Documentation that is tailored well to its audience and
>> generally written well can be a value-adding entity.
>> (For support for that last statement, you can e-mail me, and I'd
>> be happy to share with you research sponsored by STC on that very
>> subject.)

Connie, can you post this information instead? I am *very* interested
in ways to measure the value of good documentation, online or otherwise.
I'm currently working for a firm that's questioning the value of our
documentation efforts. How much information is really needed for the
users to get by? Can't we skip the screen captures and fancy illustrations?

Management is concerned we tech writers are spending too much time
(and money) trying to produce quality doc. I've thought of surveying
the users for their opinions, but might not get approval for that.
So if there are other ways to prove--qualitatively or quantitatively--
the value-added aspect of documentation, I'd sure like to know!

Thanks!

KC Warren
warrenk -at- csos -dot- orst -dot- edu