Re: Why Internships Indeed

Subject: Re: Why Internships Indeed
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 13:20:29 EDT

John Gear makes a good point about internships and "pink collar ghettos":

>However three fields (traditionally female dominated in this century) are
>known for unpaid "practicums": teaching, nursing, and social work.
>There are, of course, exceptions, but most of the students in these
>fields are expected to *pay* tuition for the semesters "course" which
>consists of donating free labor to institutions in their field.

Yep, and when I was in library school, we had unpaid "field work", which meant
we moved books and dusted shelves the librarians saved just for us...

However, a co-op student from the Professional Writing Program at the
University of Waterloo, which bases its co-op program on the very successful
and effective _engineering_ co-op program, got paid very nearly my salary
_yikes!_, and got to write her own manual when she was with us. It is true that
she also had to hand-compile an index, but it was good practice and
educational, despite being unpleasant.

I agree--fight the forces of pink collar ghettoization. I also don't approve of
using young writers to do the sh_t work.

Note: I got out of library work (despite loving reference work, research and
other information provision services) partly because I could make 20 grand
more a year doing technical writing...

Cheers,

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)
Oracle MultiDimension

"The foreseeable future. A cliche, and a fuzzy one. How much of the
future is foreseeable? Ten minutes? Ten years? Any of it? By whom is it
foreseeable? Seers? Experts? Everybody?"
--Strunk and White, "The Elements of Style"