Re: asserted, de-asserted

Subject: Re: asserted, de-asserted
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 13:53:41 GMT

In article <9410261018 -dot- AA16446 -at- tasu32 -dot- nsc -dot- com>,
Marsha Wolicki <cmawta -at- taux01 -dot- nsc -dot- com> wrote:

>The engineers here use asserted and de-asserted to describe
>what happens to certain signals.

>I am fighting the use of the word de-asserted.
>Am I wrong? Have you encountered these words?

The verb "assert" in this context is a hardware reference, meaning to
drive the voltage high. "De-assert" is acceptable, but if you dislike
it, see if you can get the engineers to use "drop" instead.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

Usenet is not a democracy. It is a weird cross between an anarchy
and a dictatorship.