Re: Resume Length

Subject: Re: Resume Length
From: John Lee Bumgarner <jbumgarner -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 09:40:52 EST

Sometimes employers want to know who you *really* are and do
focus on the other things in life and sometimes in the interview
they are simply looking for a "handle." The reason I got one job was
not only based on my professional abilities/knowledge but also on
my musical skills: I played bagpipes at the time and the boss
was a Scotland-phile (I can't find the appropriate term for
that -phile, sorry). I beat out a candidate with similar skills.
I also find that providing the personal can sometimes be linked to
professional; for instance, my experience as a Boy Scout and Girl
Scout canoe trainer can be linked to my interest in training and
development: I can explain that I am well rounded and, in a humorous
way, explain that if I can explain something to wild kids, I can
explain something to :-) wild :-) adults.