Community College Teaching with MS

Subject: Community College Teaching with MS
From: Joseph J Little <litt0023 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 22:21:41 GMT

I have spoken with several professors in the Twin Cities area
about the chances of a full-time teaching position at a community
college with a master's degree in STC. I was wondering if this
may be a platform to 'rest' on while pursuing a PhD. Several
professors said absolutely not--at least not in the Twin Cities.
They seemed to infer that a PhD was required for teaching
tech comm at a community college. However, others said an
MS is fine, as long as you have the suitable background they
are looking for. So, my question is: In your locale, is an
MS sufficient for community college teaching?

Thanks in advance!

--Joseph Little
Scientific and Technical Communication
University of Minnesota