revision control

Subject: revision control
From: "Kate M. Jarsulic" <kjarsuli -at- CCD -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 09:11:47 -0500

hello all, and happy halloween.

i am curious to find out what you are doing for tracking document changes
and updated releases. here at controls, we are getting ready to ship
our first set of standard documents and we are trying to improve the
'old' way of tracking document changes and releases.

currently, we have 70+ standard documents which can be modified for
certain customer jobs. in addition to modified standard documents, a
customer may also have custom documents. we need some way to track
and control the different versions that go to our customers and also
a way to track the changes that we make to documents. ideally, i would
like to have a document database and electronically track our
modifications... but, i am not sure what is available.

i would appreciate hearing from anyone who has a large set of documents
and who has sucessfully found a way to track the distribution of them.
also, can you tell me what kind of time commitment tracking a documentation
set requires (do we need a document librarian, or is this something
that someon can do part-time??).

thanks!

...kj

--
Kate Jarsulic
Technical Writer (407)242-5316

Great spirits have always encountered violent
opposition from mediocre minds.
- Albert Einstein