Re: Punctuation Inside Quotes

Subject: Re: Punctuation Inside Quotes
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 10:56:00 PST

A public apology to the list for posting while my brain was in overload. I
too agree that my example (the first listed below) was poor & downright
incorrect. I thought I could come up with an example to match what I was
fairly certain I had seen elsewhere, but I stand corrected. I should have
checked a style manual and lurked a while longer.

Yes, Matt Hicks, I do write for a living. I don't claim to be perfect, but
I do continue to learn as I go. I, like many other writers, was not
formally trained in this particular area, but fell into it due to a mixture
of interest, skill (believe it or not), and timing. I hardly think that 2
punctuation marks determine a writer's credentials. But look on the bright
side: The more lousy writers there are out there, the more jobs available
for you to come in & fix it all after we're done ;^)

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA

Whatever authority I may have rests solely on knowing how little I know.
--Socrates
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Monday, October 31, 1994 9:35AM

>The painting (I really didn't like it myself.) sold for $600.

> The painting -I really didn't like it myself,- sold for $600.

Ugh. (Sound of me pounding my forehead on my desk.) These sentences are
coming from people who write for a living?! Apparently the scarcity of
people who can write is worse than I had realized. :-(

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.