Re: Limited Experience on Resumes

Subject: Re: Limited Experience on Resumes
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 13:53:07 CST

Mike Christie writes:
|}
|} How do you handle limited experience on a resume?
|}
[cases deleted]
|}
|} How do I (or do I) list these things on my resume?
|}

My own personal strategy on this sort of thing is to either leave
them off the resume entirely, or put them at the very bottom of
my ``tools'' list. If there is a specific mention of it in the
job posting, I will mention my experience in the cover letter.

Granted, this may get discarded long before anyone with any decision
making power ever sees it, but I ended up on a couple of interviews
where the only reason I was called was because I listed Adobe
Illustrator and Aldus Freehand so they thought I was an illustrator.
I can do some reasonably passable illustrations in those packages,
but I'm no illustrator. Wastes my time, wastes their time, why
bother?

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem