Re: Equipment needs

Subject: Re: Equipment needs
From: "Westra, Kayla L." <13718westr -at- KCPBLDG01 -dot- BV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 08:02:00 CST

From Kayla again:

Did I mention that I use the 286 strictly for word processing my fiction
work? All the technical writing/document publication I do is on a
Gateway2000 486DX-66 and a HP4si printer. I have to admit, I have the best
of both worlds and all the tools I need.

On Wed, 9 Nov 1994, Westra, Kayla L. wrote:

>> As I prepared to update my system, my brother-in-law/computer guy asked
me
>> what my old machine wouldn't do that I needed on my new machine. With a
>> sheepish grin, I replied, "Ah, nothing." I still have my eight year old
>> 286, and it still turns out good work.

Matt says:

>Well, I just bought a Macintosh Performa 635CD for home, mostly for
freelance
>work that I do evenings and weekends. All credit and it will take me a
while
>to pay it off, but I think it's well worth it. I also bought a 600 dpi
>LaserPrinter. At work I use a Mac IIsi (when I can't do my work on an
Xterm)
>and it's so unbearably slow for anything more complex than a thank-you note
>that I've taken to doing my real work at home. Sure the IIsi will *do*
>everything that my Performa will, but my Performa doesn't keep me waiting.

>don't have to watch the Performa redraw the screen a line a time. When I
try
>to run PageMaker on the IIsi (with 16MB RAM), I end up pounding my fist
(and
>sometimes my head) on my desk in frustration.

>Even if the Performa does something only incrementally faster than the
IIsi,
>all those increments add up and make my time at the computer much more
>productive and enjoyable. I'm more inclined to do the extra step to polish
>up a document, because I've already saved time and I know that the extra
step
>won't take forever. It's a real joy to be able to do the things you want to
>do at the pace you are capable of doing them, rather than at the snail's
pace
>that that older, slower processor is willing to let you do them. No, I say
>buy something a little better than you think you can afford and you'll be
>glad you did.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.