Re[2]: video scripting

Subject: Re[2]: video scripting
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 09:04:00 -0500

Apparently I've sparked a very heated debate over the issue of video
scripwriting, and I would like to clarify a few aspects of my original
response to Jane S. Torpie.

To second what Rick pointed out, I think the problem is the difference between
the terms "scripting" and "scriptwriting."

There are a lot of computer-oriented minds on this list, and to them "scripting"
has a special meaning. It means writing instructions for a computer to follow to
perform tasks. It's analogous to programming, but the inference is that the
language is easier to handle than the average computer language, that it has a
syntax similar to english, and that it's probably interpreted (as opposed to
compiled). That meant many of us (myself included, I won't answer for Steve)
thought the request was for a computer capable of handling multimedia tasks, so
we tossed out the fastest hardware we could find.

If what was meant was really "scriptwriting," then I agree the latest and
greatest isn't necessary. While I'd still hesitate to recommend a Selectric, any
of the extremely low cost dedicated word processors (Brother, Smith-Corona,
etc.) would be up to the task.

Have fun,
Arlen