math/science/techwr people

Subject: math/science/techwr people
From: Chantel Reynolds <Reynoldb -at- ZIAVMS -dot- ENMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 16:02:04 -0600

I have to enter the fray here and stand with the other people who
revealed themselves *mathematics-gifted.* I chose to write because it
allowed me more contact with people than abstracts concepts. I couldn't
envision myself wandering aound with a calculator inside my office for the
rest of my life or never looking outside my window. I know, that's a
stereotype, but if you could see the math/science departments here, you'd
probably forgive me.
But if I had wanted to, I had the ability. My advanced math and
science grades never looked any different from my other grades, but I had
much more fun in my humanities courses.
There's a supervisor in my department who tries very hard to make
everybody feel confident and capable. She tends to separate some of us
according to the subjects we teach/tutor as part of our work study
allotments. (Never try to be a graduate assistant at 20hrs per week and
spend another 15 as a work study.) She tells us the English people can't
understand math, and the math people can't understand English. The best
hour of my day occurred when I finally shouted, "I am NOT an idiot in
math!"

Chantel

P.S. I'm trying not to lurk.

Lost in Translation

Barra Chantel Reynolds
Writing & Internet tutor-ENMU
ACS instructor-ENMU
Macintosh Lab-ENMU
(Reynoldb -at- ziavms -dot- enmu -dot- edu)