H/W v S/W difficulty

Subject: H/W v S/W difficulty
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 02:23:17 -0800

>Writing for hardware is more difficult.

>I did hardware tech writing for a long time, I've recently started to do
>software tech writing.

A lot of what you say is true, but I think you're also comparing large,
complex, inaccessible hardware with simple software.

Some software is large, non-linear, and inaccessible. Some hardware is small
and simple. Documenting a microprocessor's instruction encoding can be a lot
simpler than describing a modern publishing package.

As someone pointed out a while back, nobody ever learned Word 6 for Windows
completely from the manual, because an adequate manual would be too
difficult to write. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org