Invoke vs. Use

Subject: Invoke vs. Use
From: "Johns, David" <14615johns -at- KCPBLDG05 -dot- BV -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 15:41:00 CST

In the manuals I write for Windows-based programs, I USE these verbs to
describe the action of bringing a screen or dialog box to the monitor:
invoke, bring up, or summon. I do not use "use" because the user would
have a hard time getting used to this use of "use." However, I would like
to start USING some verbs other than the three mentioned to refer to the
process of getting something onto the screen--for the sake of variety. Any
ideas?

Dave Johns
Black & Veatch